Randolph 63, Woodstock 36: Hosts shake off foul trouble in boys basketball game


For the Valley News

Published: 12-25-2023 1:35 PM

RANDOLPH — Early in the first quarter of the Woodstock High boys basketball team’s Friday night game against Randolph, Woodstock coach Scott Brooks could be overheard telling his squad the game was a “gut check.”

And after cutting a deficit to five points early in the third quarter, the Wasps looked like they might be up to the challenge.

But the physical Galloping Ghosts, buoyed by a rowdy crowd, outmuscled the visitors and ran off to a 63-36 victory on the strength of second-half surge after overcoming early foul trouble.

Senior forward Ezra Lockhart finished with 10 points to lead the Wasps, who fell to 1-3.

Randolph’s duo of versatile senior forward Ethan Davignon and junior guard Shea Fontanella led all scorers with 20 and 18 points, respectively.

The Ghosts employed full-court man-to-man pressure from the opening tip, and Woodstock countered with a number of zone defenses.

Randolph’s physical advantage was on display early on. Box outs and hustle earned the hosts a number of offensive rebounds that were converted into second-chance points, while the Wasps struggled against the aggressive pressure and found few clean looks at the basket.

Out of a mid-quarter timeout, Woodstock found a liability in the Ghosts’ physical play: foul trouble. With multiple Randolph starters forced to the bench with two fouls, the Wasps strung together a solid run to close the first quarter down by a manageable 26-15 margin.

Article continues after...

Yesterday's Most Read Articles

With Randolph starters still sitting, Woodstock had its best quarter of the night in the second period, cutting the lead to single digits with a gritty defensive effort that held the Ghosts scoreless for long stretches. Randolph held an eight-point lead at the half.

Both teams re-introduced their starters in the second half, and Woodstock managed to keep the momentum going with a nice offensive stretch. Seven points in the opening two minutes of the half, capped by a triple from senior guard Jackson Martzolf-Tan, brought the Wasps within two scores at 36-31 with plenty of time to play. Randolph was forced to take a timeout.

That would be the high point for the visitors. A 19-0 run from the Ghosts over the rest of the third quarter and start of the fourth blew the game open. Woodstock’s offense ground to a halt as turnovers mounted.

With the game effectively decided midway through the final quarter, both sides removed their starters to allow an ovation from the fans and allow reserves a chance to play.

Woodstock is scheduled to host Green Mountain (3-3) on Wednesday. Randolph (3-1) travels to Capital League foe Thetford (4-0) on Friday.